Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 1- The Journey

Ok, so yesterday I got here in Washington DC, but as you can imagine with a cross-country plane trip, unpacking and overcoming a few obstacles (I will tell later) I had no time to blog. So basically I failed at my daily goal on day one.

Needless to say, I got here. Let me give you a quick run down of my journey and my first day. My sweet wife and I woke up at 4:30 am and left Morgan at 5 am. My parents were nice too and got up to see me off. I arrived at the airport at 6 am and Laura and I said our goodbyes. At the time it wasn't bad, but soon after, the emotions hit us both.

I checked in with US Airways and they told me about upgrading to first class. It would be $50 extra dollars but I get two checked bags free. Perfect. I would have paid $65 if I would have stayed coach to check my bags. I tell ya though, I don't know if I can go back to coach. I breezed through security had tons of leg room and was drinking a coke BEFORE takeoff.

I had a layover in Phoenix. It was quick, but I was starving so I got a Cinnabon. How could I not with that aroma.

The second leg of my flight was long, but I was able to do some homework. (I'm taking an online class, I'll provide details on that someday).

I arrived to DC, got my bags and got a cab. The cab took me literally less than a mile to my apartment. $10.

I got to my apartment and was amazed. HUGE. NICE. Front desk 24/7. The lady showed me up to my room and I met a few roomies.

Crystal Plaza Apartments

Foyer area.
View from my balcony.

So, what I'm trying to illustrate is that it is nice.

I will do a future post with more details about the apartment and about my roommates.

So, I ran into a couple of problems. First, on monday (5 days before I came) I sent a package to myself with sheets, a blanket, a pillow, a towel, and some toiletries. Well, when I got here, I couldn't find it! I checked with my roommates, I checked with the front desk, but nothing! It still has not yet arrived, and probably won't arrive until tuesday due to the holiday. So, I found some random sheets and a towel left at the apartment by former interns. I am using them for now. Who knows if they are clean or where they came from.

The other problem I temporarily had was that I did not have a key. I had a card that gets me into the building, but I didn't have a key that gets me into the apartment. Needless to say, at one point I was locked out for a couple of hours. But I soon caught up with some roomies and tracked down the missing key.

I live in Crystal City, it is actually in Arlington, VA. It is a really nice area. I am amazed at how clean it is. The streets are well kept and nice. Its a nice area. It is located right next to Reagan National Airport and just down from the Pentagon and Arlington Cemetery.

Anywho, while I was locked out for a while I went and explored a bit and found something to eat. I ate at Chipotle. For those who don't know, Chipotle is like the Cafe Rio or Costa Vida outside of Utah. Its really good, I became familiar with it on my mission in California. I still think Cafe Rio is better though.

Yum.

View from my table. See how clean and nice.

I could sit here and tell the details for days, but details of my journeys will unfold as we go on this blogging adventure.

Until tomorrow... goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for showing us how nice and clean those trees were. I am so used to garbage being plastered all over trees its nice to see trees that are held to a higher standard. Today laura and I made fat girl cookies and had girl talk like we were in 5th grade. it was great fun.


    P.S. FYI: There are at least 3 chipotles in Utah. Here is a link for you to research for further investigation upon your arrival home

    http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=chipotle+utah&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=chipotle+utah&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivnscm&source=univ&tbm=plcs&tbo=u&ei=VTbjTcrrO4TQiALJ-7WfBg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=2&ved=0CDYQtQMwAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=5304212dfdd8a916&biw=1267&bih=680

    Kinda long- but you get the point.

    LOVE YOU!!!! bye!

    ReplyDelete