Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 2 - Can't Get Dry... (If you don't want to read, scroll down and there is a plethora of pictures)

I have heard from people who have been in hot humid places say, "you just can't get dry, you get out of the shower and just stay wet." I've never understood that until now. Temps in the 90s and humidity in the 80s and 90s. Wow. I can't wait to wear a suit in this. Meanwhile, my wife is sending me pics of snow in Utah.


So my first full day in Washington was a Sunday. Five of the six of my roommies are good Mormon boys so they filled me in with the details of church. It starts at 3!!! Yes, thats right 3. Furthermore, it is a singles ward. I am not single, but I will be attending a singles ward, because I just want to be with people I know and the church is only 3 blocks away. My whole church going experience is very interesting, but I will dedicate a whole post about that some other day.

Due to the fact that I had they whole morning (and lots of the afternoon) until church, I wanted to make the most of it. I slept in until about 8:30, had a bowl of raisin bran crunch and headed out. I had no idea where I was going, but I was anxious to see the town I have dreamed about. So, I hopped on the Metro and headed toward the Mall. (The mall is the big grassy area that has all the monuments and museums and cool stuff) I managed to find the metro stop and I just guessed as to where I should come out. I was pretty lucky. My first ride and experience was pretty smooth... the metro was not. I could go on for days about the metro... I will dedicate a future post all about the metro.

When I emerged from the depths of the metro I just went to the most recognizable object, the Washington Monument. I didn't really study the sites in depth due to the fact that I didn't have much time and there were tens of thousands of people on the mall seeing the sites as well.

Along with the Washington Monumnet, I saw many other sites including the WWII Monument, The Vietnam Wall, Lincoln Monument and a quick run through of Arlington Cemetery. 

Out of everything I have seen so far, my favorite is by far Arlington. I constantly had chills/goosebumps, literally. It truly is the nation's most sacred site. 

After my quick tour, I returned to my apartment, went to church, then after church a big group of us interns from Utah went to the Capitol were there was a huge concert thingy for memorial day. (I'm sure you all watched it on PBS) It was neat, I enjoyed it with tens of thousand of others. The setting was awesome. (Capitol Hill)

Below are pics of the day... If you skipped over the long words and are just looking at the pics... thats ok, I don't blame you, I would have done the same.
I sent this pic to my mom and she thought is was from my apartment... silly mom.


Tons and tons of bikers in DC this weekend. Tattoos and leather vests everywhere. Such nice guys... seriously every single one was very polite.



Formerly the tallest structure in the world


WWII Monument


Utah... people working together


More WWII monument, a military band playing

Bikers posing for picture

Me and the Vietnam Wall Memorial


Awesome... but lots of people


A volunteer doing a rubbing for a family of a fallen soldier

Honest Abe (I think this guy just sits there all day and collects tips) 

Lincoln Memorial


Where MLK gave his speech... I'm sure he was wearing similar shoes

Abe and I - I don't know why I insist on making this face when I take pictures of myself.




Some random guy getting interviewed... I don't know.


Arlington National Cemetery - The Nation's most sacred site


The Kennedys - I loved this especially his inaugural address surrounding, one of the best speeches ever.



Tomb of the Unknown Soldier


Changing of the Guard - Guards are there 24/7 365 days a year. This was awesome. Everyone was dead silent and very respectful. Best thing I've seen yet.



Capitol Hill - Where I watched a concert. It was neat.


At night.

Thats all folks. Until tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment