Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 3 - Memorial Day - President Obama and Phillies

Yesterday was Memorial Day. Is there a better place to spend it than the Nation's Capital? I think not. I did not work on Monday due to the holiday, so I planned out a nice day for myself. My first item of business was to return to Arlington Cemetery. The President and leader of the free world was to place a wreath at the tomb of the unknown soldier and speak in the adjoining ampitheater. I knew I had to be there early to get in the apmitheater. Well I wasn't about to wake up at dawn and sit in the heat and humidity for hours, so I took my time getting there. As I expected, I was too late to get in, but I was able to hang out from a distance and see the motorcade arrive and the President step out. I was also able to sit under the shade of a tree in the cemetery and hear the President and others speak. It was really neat.

You wouldn't believe the security. I have never seen so many military, secret service, police, etc. There were swat, marines, ambulances, fire trucks, helecopters circling, and everything else you can imagine. There were also thousands of people.

I skipped out pretty quick to beat the crowd to the metro. Arlington Cemetery is really close to where I live, its only three metro stops away. (10 minute ride)

From Arlington, I went straight to Navy Yard, the metro stop you get off to get to Nationals Park. To get to that stop I had to transfer a couple trains. I did it with ease, I was proud of myself. Plus, it wasn't hard, I just had to follow the thousands of Phillies fans.

I have never been to a professional baseball game, I love baseball, especially live. I don't mind the length of the game or the lack of speed and fast paced action. I loved it.

I bought my ticket to the game months ago... in fact, I think I bought the baseball ticket before I bought my plane ticket. It was really fun. Even though it was a home game for the Nationals, Phillies fans outnumbered Nationals fans 4 to 1. It was funny. I wasn't rooting for a specific team, I was just there to watch good baseball.

It was extremely hot, I know I have talked a lot about the heat, but I have never in my life felt heat like this before. Constantly soaked with sweat. So so so humid. About the 7th inning the shade finally reached me and it was much more enjoyable.

Below I have included some pics of the game and some other gems. I didn't get anymore pics of Arlington.
Pic of the metro headed to the game. Jam packed. Nothing like being squeezed up to a sweaty Phillies fan who smells like cheesesteak.

View from my seat. Left field, near the foul poll. Not too shabby.

Another view.




My room. My bed, dresser and closet.

Another view. Mine is the one on the left. Those are sheets I found laying around as I wait for mine to arrive. Dang you UPS.


This is a shower curtain. This photo doesn't do it justice, but it was covered with mold, the whole shower was. The smell was awful. After the baseball game I bought groceries including a shower curtain and then spent about two hours deep cleaning the shower and bathroom. I'm sure my roommates feel like slobs as I just barely got here and am cleaning up their mess.


This was the most disgusting part. Some of my roommates are very hairy and shed a lot. This picture doesn't do much justice either, but this little hairs covered the bathroom. I cleaned them up, but as I have used the bathroom today, I have noticed they are back. I just don't understand. No one is shaving or trimming anything, they just shed. 

I miss Laura. I used to complain about here hairs being everywhere. I will complain no more after what I am experiencing. I miss her in everyway.

On Tuesday I begin work. Despite what it may seem, I have come here, departed my wife, and am doing it all for free to WORK. This internship is once in a lifetime. I am working for the White House. Of course I will see the sights while I am out here, but I am here for the work experience and to build valuable connections to build my career for the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment