Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Weekend in Review

Here are some more pics from my super saturday.
National Archives 


Modern Art... I don't understand it... my wife appreciates it more than I.



On the National Mall facing West. Notice how awful the grass is. I envisioned nice golf course grass.


Facing East toward capitol

Main Smithsonian Building - They call it the castle

Inside the castle

The Old Post Office - I heard you can go into the tower for a great view... its a great alternative to the Washington Monument which can be hard to get tickets to go up.

I found a cute little corner restaurant called ollies' trolley. It was wonderful.

Awesome burger fries and a coke.


the real C3PO from Star Wars... this is at the National Museum of American History


Jupiter... was once in Utah


The famous Woolworths counter... made famous in Greeensboro, NC during a civil rights sit-in during the 60's. Look it up on wiki.

Gunboat Philadelphia... sunk during Revolutionary War.



Awkward statue of George Washington... after it was completed there was a lot of negative reaction from the public (with good reason) so it was never displayed in the capitol like intended... so its in the smithsonian for all to snicker

backside of capitol


Real abe lincoln hat. He wore this the night he was assassinated.


Famous Nixon/Watergate file cabinet. (I am not a crook)

The real star spangled banner flag is on display here. No pictures are allowed due to preservation and light sensitivity. It was so so cool. Very big and tattered. It was up during the War of 1812 when Francis Scott Key saw it and wrote the words that would later become our national anthem.

The Supreme Court. This was one of the sights I was looking forward to most. I took a couple law classes last semester and really studied the supreme court in depth. I love it. After all, it is a whole branch of government... very underrated.

Closer view.

My saturday was really fun. I'm looking forward to next weekend to see more sights. I am getting overwhelmed. There is just too much to see and not enough time.






1 comment:

  1. Hey...they were repairing that flag when we were there for our honeymoon 11 years ago! It was fascinating!!

    ReplyDelete