Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 23 - In the land where sporting events are alive and well

Well, its Sunday morning, and I am behind on my blogging. I have had a relaxing weekend, but instead of my usual rant for a couple of paragraphs, I thought I would dive right into the photos (and rant in between the photos).


On Friday night I didn't have much to do, so at the last minute I decided to go to a baseball game. I went to one earlier (one of my first days here). I really enjoy the ball games. You can get in for five bucks plus half off for students. $2.50 for a major league ball game? I'll take it! Unfortunately, the game on Friday was sold out of the cheap seats when I got there at the top of the third, so I bought a standing room only ticket for $10 and wandered about the stadium. It wasn't too bad. The Nats played the Orioles from Baltimore, which is only about 30-40 minutes away, so they had a good fan base present, hence the full stadium.
The picture above is where I was for most of the game. It wasn't too bad. I don't think there is a bad seat in that beautiful stadium. I was near what is called the 'Beer Porch', so the stench of hops was apparent. It was fun though.


The last few innings I found myself a seat about 10 rows up from the home dugout. It was awesome.


Another view.


Proof that I was there.

After the Nats won. I went right behind the dugout and congratulated the boys.... and tried to snag a ball, but no luck. For one to get a ball at a ballpark, one must be a cute child or a good looking young lady. I am neither.

This picture is dark and bad, but this is the metro station after the game. There were 50,000 fans at the game and most of them use the metro to get to and from the game, as you can imagine, this was a treat in the metro system. You can't see well, but there are thousands of people on the platform.
The game was awesome. I am hoping to go to another on Wednesday... it is $1 hotdog day. (usually the cheapest hot dog is $5)


As you know, my Saturdays usually consist of touring around and getting educated in the best museums our nation has to offer. Well, this week was no different, but I didn't see much.
I went to the Holocaust museum which is very popular and you need a ticket to get in. It is free, but they just have to control the numbers. So, I think I will arrange that when Laura will come out. I'm looking forward to that.
Instead, I saw a very moving exhibit on Nazi Propaganda and it's affects. It was breathtaking to see how essentially one man can put a certain mentality in the minds of millions. Scary.
I snapped a couple of random shots.

Did you know that my Grandpa Irwin (who is in his mid-90s) once saw Hitler while he was a young boy serving his mission in Germany before the war. He saw him in a parade. Hitler hieled my grandpa, and my grandpa hieled back. People at this time didn't really know what this guy was up to. But, it became apparent as the months and years that followed. 
My grandpa (for whom I am named) is my hero. I look up to him so much.


Another propaganda piece. 



Across the street from the museum is the Department of Agriculture. Many offices. This was classic. There are some windows of offices very close to the street and sidewalk. Apparently the occupants of the offices are a bit disgruntled.
This sign reads: "WE CAN HEAR YOU. SHHH..."
I thought that was funny.

This is another nearby window advising of the use of tobacco.


Closer look.


There are always events and things going on on the National Mall. Here is a Chinese dance group.


So in the evening I went with my roommate Shawn, who is a huge soccer fan, to a bar to watch Real Salt Lake take on the soccer team from here, DC United. The game was in Salt Lake, but we went to this bar which is the official viewing place for DC United. It was a lot of fun. We cheered aloud for RSL amongst the DC fans. I had a coke and a philly. It was awesome.

These pictures are really dark, but just to give you an idea. 
We obviously felt unwelcome and feared for our lives as we cheered for RSL. Nevertheless, we came out alive, and the game ended not as hoped. 1-1 tie.
The bar was in a pretty sketchy neighborhood in NE DC, near Howard University. 
It was a good night.

On top of the things I have fore mentioned, this weekend I have been watching a lot of golf. I love golf and especially the US Open. I am still bitter that it is occurring only 15 miles from where I am and I am not attending, but oh well. 

Go Rory.

2 comments:

  1. oh shawn. You are the BOMB! I love that you are blogging so well about your amazing experience in Washington! Especially the little details like the notes on the air conditioning units. It sounds like you're making the most of your summer there. Way to go, honey; you'll have no regrets! Keep it up...both your exploring and your blogging. much love, yo momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the comment about Grandpa being a hero. If only I can be a fraction as faithful and hard-working as he has been.

    ReplyDelete