Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 14 - In the land of soggy carpets and foggy bottoms

I am actually writing this Saturday morning, but I shall give you an account of yesterday.

It has cooled down a few degrees. Wonderful.

For lunch my awesome supervisor took us out to lunch (TGI Friday's). and he paid! It was extremely nice of him. He is a really good guy. It felt good to eat something really hearty for lunch as opposed to my usual pb & j sandwiches.

We get out an hour early on fridays (5:00), so I decided to see some sights. I returned to the National Museum of American History and finished up that museum. Once I finished that I went and saw the Jefferson Monument. After I saw that, I walked home. That may not mean much to you, but it is quite a walk, especially in a suit and dress shoes. I really enjoyed it though... my feet didn't. Once I got home, I realized I had forgot my key and I was locked out of my apartment. I had to go down to the front desk and get a key. I crashed for the rest of the night and took it easy with a frosty cold Mt. Dew and a redbox.

Here are some pics of my travels:


Coke machine at my office... I thought it was funny. I gambled... and broke even.


Dorothy's Shoes! They were originally supposed to be silver, but they wanted to show off the technicolor in the movie.


Julia Child's Kitchen. This was a fun exhibit. They had old cooking shows playing. She is a class act.


Apolo's Skates


I took a picture of the area to give you some perspective... if you care.
I work a block west of the White House.


Looking across the tidal basin.


Looking across the tidal basin at the Jefferson Monument.



Hey good lookin. Is that Thomas Jefferson? No... just Shawn Walker


This is Thomas Jefferson silly.


This monument was awesome. I think I like it better than the Lincoln Monument and Washington Monument. It gave me chills.


This is during my huge exodus. Here I am crossing the huge bridge across the Potomac River. Sunset time.
This is also neat because Reagan National Airport is real close by and the planes follow the river on their final decent, so they are real close to the ground.



When I got home, this was the sight in my room. I was happy to see this. You see, our a/c was leaking and there was a four foot radius of soaking wet carpet around the a/c. (It ruined one of my books.) So the maintenance guy fixed the a/c and is in the process of drying out the carpet. They got on top of it real fast... good thing too, cuz it was starting to stink way bad. 


Fan and dehumidifier. I've never seen a dehumidifier before, but it was pretty snazy. As you can guess, it dehumidifies. I wish there was a giant one I could put outside.




Meanwhile, my wife went down to Morgan this weekend to see my family and take my sister Shersti's bridal pictures. She got to see the Thornock Family who is visiting from Washington (State). My wife sent me this pic of Morgan. I love this girl so much. 

She also sent me a picture of Kayden relieving himself in a ditch. So so funny. I decided not to display that on the world wide web. (you are welcome Camille and Tyler)

The pictures and stories from home made me really home sick yesterday. I miss them all, especially my wife. 

I am loving my time here though, it has been an awesome experience so far, more than I had hoped. 

My wife comes to visit me in 19 days. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shawnyboy! This is mom, testing grandma's comment board. She thinks you're awesome, of course. She tried to comment a couple of posts ago, but couldn't quite get it to go. I'm sure you'll be hearing from her soon. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete