Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 20 - In the land where one lives outside of the proverbial bubble

Today is Thursday.. as if you didn't know. It was a great day. Last night I went for a run on a nearby biking/walking path that I have mentioned earlier. It goes from where I live (Crystal City), over by the airport, and along the Potomac River. It is beautiful. It is called the Mt. Vernon Trail. Anyway, on my jog I think I over did it and I am quite sore today. At my job, I sit and stare at a computer for 9 hours, so my muscles were aching due to the inactivity at work. I would have to get up and stretch often.

The title of my post today is because I have been thinking a lot about the opportunity I have to grow and share my beliefs with others. Inside the bubble (Utah), there were very few instances I have had to avoid situations that I shouldn't be in. (Drinking, smoking, etc.) However, here there are many times, almost daily I have to live my religion a bit more outwardly. Many days a group of interns go out for drinks or something after work. I politely decline. Sometimes I do go out, but order a coke instead of a beer. This has given me and the other two Utahns in my office opportunities to share the gospel. It has been great. I feel we are still fun and normal, which helps others to see that members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints can be cool normal people while still living what they believe. Furthermore, with the candidacy of Romney and Huntsman, people ask questions, which I am obliged to answer. Its great. I am enjoying living in the mission field. (Not like Utah isn't a mission field, but the opportunities present themselves more frequently here)

Today I went shopping. It is quite the process. There are no grocery stores really close by. There are pharmacies and convenience stores, but they have very high prices. So, I go to Harris Teeter Grocery Store. Today was my second time going. The first time I walked and bought two of those recyclable nylon bags to carry my groceries. Needless to say, my arms about fell of by the time I got home.

Let me illustrate with pictures...

These are the two bags I bought (all folded up)

I don't know why I took this.

So, since my last journey to the store, I learned that my apartment complex has these little carts they loan out. So I went and traded my driver's license for the cart and went on my merry little way. I left the apartment at 6:55. After I got my cute little cart I hoofed it to the metro (subway) stop. There I waited about 8 minutes for the next train and hopped on. I only had to go one stop away, so I got of the metro and walked about another 10 minutes to the store. 
This picture is my empty little cart while I'm waiting for the metro. Sorry its dark.

Light at the end of the tunnel! It took me 30 minutes just to get to the store. Even if you do drive to the store you still have to pay for parking. No such thing as free parking.

I did my shopping and of course since I am a poor unpaid intern, I got really cheap stuff. All of which is probably loaded with sodium and packed with carbs. I didn't buy anything that wasn't on sale. 
As I have mentioned before, everything is a lot more expensive here in DC. 
I ended up spending about $32. Hopefully this load will last me two weeks or so.
It took me a half hour to do my shopping, and I made my journey back to my apartment with my full cart. I had to make some quick manuevers on the metro with my little cart.
I got home at 8:25. In all shopping took my an hour and a half. I like to remind my wife Laura of that as she visits Smiths in Logan (She drives a car a couple of blocks and has free parking... also, prices are low.)
So, there is my sob story about shopping. I will be so grateful when I get home to wide open Utah.


Today I am blogging in a different location. Usually I go to the lobby of my apartment complex which has wifi, but it is always so sketchy and slow. So today I went down the tunnel a little bit to a coffee shop. I am in an underground shopping mall thing that connects to the metro, my apartment, shops, etc.
The internet is fast and free and I am loving it. I have found my new blogging home. 
The above picture is my current view looking to my left.


...and to my right.



This is where I usually eat lunch. It is a little plaza area surrounded by office buildings. There are tons and tons of little cafes all around, none of which I have tried (or will try). I usually pack pb &j. I don't mind at all. Although yesterday I did treat myself to Five Guys. It was glorious... but about $4 more expensive than the Five Guys in Utah.

This week is the second major championship in professional golf. The US Open. It is being played at Congressional Country Club here in DC. I love golf and I love the US Open. I am so upset at myself that I am not going and taking advantage of this opportunity! I did try to look for some tickets, but they are a pretty penny, so I will have to settle with watching it on TV. That is what will make up most of my upcoming weekend. Also, I found out that one of my roommates is going to the final round of the tourney... and he isn't even into golf! He got the ticket for free. Curse him.




This is my niece Morgan. Sorry the picture is so small. My brother-in-law Tyler sent me this picture. She looks so mature and grown up in this picture. So cute. I miss those kids. 

Well that is all for me here in the beltway... until next time.

2 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I love reading all this?! I love that you're documenting every little thing, like where you eat lunch and the different shopping experience. It really shows how different big city living is! Thanks for sharing.
    And that little girl up there? Yeah. She's pretty much the cutest thing ever...even though she can be quite annoying sometimes :) They missed you when we were at mom and dads. Kayden was confused at why Laura was there and you were not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 32 bucks for all that? I'd say you did good (But that's coming from a Vegas shopper -- it's ugly here too:)) Keep up the posts...

    ReplyDelete