Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 13 - One word to describe the weather: Moist.

Today was a scorcher. Very hot indeed. I don't mind the heat, its the humidity that kills me. I just can't believe that I walk outside and immediately am soaked in sweat. Its a wonderful feeling. Especially when I cram into a subway train with hundreds of other sweaty people.

I'm joking.

I shouldn't complain though, most of the time it is very nice, in fact right now I am sitting outside in the courtyard area of my apartment building. It is 9:00 pm and it is very comfortable.

Today was a good day. My work consists of sitting in front of a computer screen for nine hours, but it goes by pretty fast. I have learned to get up about every hour and get a drink or go to the bathroom. If I don't, my knees and back ache and my eyes become zombie-like from staring at the screen. I love what I do though. It is very rewarding.

After work today I had a bit more pep in my step than usual, so I decided to take the long way home. I snapped a couple of pictures on my way...


This is the south side of the White House. Technically the back side. The big stretch of lawn and gardens is known as the south lawn. Events are often held here. In fact, just yesterday there was a large arrival ceremony for the Chancellor of Germany who came to Washington. It is a big deal when a dignitary comes to visit. They definitely roll out the red carpet. Hopefully I will be able to go to at least one event on the south lawn this summer. (I'll probably have to work the event, but I'll do whatever it takes.)

This is another view showing the famous White House garden on the left. The First Lady has made this famous/popular especially with her healthy eating campaign.
Also in this picture, just about the center you can see a white rectangular box, thats the White House beehive. They make their own honey and use it for different things including to brew beer. 


There are lots of pick up games always going on everywhere. This is soccer.

Street Hockey.

I think this is neat. This is called Capitol Bikeshare. It is these bike racks where you can rent a bike by using an automated machine and it charges you by the hour. The best part is, you can return it to a different location. (Like a redbox) They are in quite a few places. I have not used it, but when my little wife comes, we shall take a jaunt.

Well, I am going to bed early tonight. I say that everynight, but I just haven't been sleeping well. It has been quite the transition from my king sized pillow top at home to a rock hard twin here.... Plus, there isn't a pretty girl in this bed like there is in my bed in Logan. 

In due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment