Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 12 - In the land where temps are high and zip codes are low

Ok, I have a question... Whose been a slacker?
Answer: Shawn.

I have missed a few days of blogging, I have had internet issues and issues finding time and motivation. I'm sorry. Forgive me?

Now that we've got that cleared up, let's continue.

This has been a great few days as I have worked a lot. I work from 9 to 6 every day with a 45 minute commute each way. It makes for a long day, but I love it. I am working in a specific department and although I cannot say much about what I do, I really enjoy it and I am learning a ton.

Good news! My dear wife Laura is coming to see me! She is coming out July 1-5! We will spend Independence Day in the Nation's Capital. I am really looking forward to it. We caved and bought a plane ticket for her. It will be so fun to show her around my life out here. More to come on this subject in later posts...

Now some pics and a few stories...

My apartment is VERY close to Reagan National Airport. There is a wonderful little walking trail that goes from Crystal City (Where I live) along the nearby river and by the airport. There is a nice little park. It is cool because the runway is just a few hundred feet away, so the planes are real close taking off and landing. 

While here I remembered that there was once a horrific plane crash at this airport many years ago... So I did some research. I was amazed. Very crazy. Learn more about it here.


This one isn't so close...


At my work, and in Washington DC there are many opportunities to meet many powerful and influential people. I had such an opportunity yesterday. This is a pic in a conference room where I heard Samantha Power speak. That may mean nothing to you... I didn't really understand the magnitude at first, but she is an aide to the President and a guru in Foreign Policy. It was awesome to see her speak in such a setting.
To learn more about Ms. Power, click here



There are two squirels in this pic. The one on the left is a traditional brown one, and the other is a black squirrel! So weird. I've never seen one before... reminded me of a mink.

That is all. I'll blog again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment