Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 8 - Everybody's Workin' for the Weekend

Saturdays are wonderful. Today I slept in, had a hearty breakfast and hit the streets to learn from the resources that are at my fingertips here in the beltway.

My intentions were to go to the National Mall and knock off one of the Smithsonian Museums. Specifically, I was eyeing The National Museum of American History.

I of course took the metro and emerged from the depths of the earth. As I was walking I stubled across an awesome looking building, upon closer examination I saw it was the National Archives. I couldn't pass it up I wen in.

The National Archives houses our Nation's most treasured documents. Most of the documents are in written format, but there are also audio and video galore.

This was such a great experience. I was able to see The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, The Bill of Rights, The Magna Carta and much much more. They run a tight ship in there and security is obviously tight. To preserve the documents they ask that there is no photography, so unfortunately I have no pics of the inside of the building, but take my word for it. It was spectacular. It was especially cool for me as I am a History Major/Political Science Minor. (Not that it isn't as important for others)

I'll stop talking now and illustrate pictures.

Navy Memorial. Real neat.

Quote by JFK at Navy Memorial. (JFK is a Navy boy)


National Archives. Seen National Treasure? The world's most influential documents are housed here.


Proof that I was there.



Well.... I'm frustrated. There are about 20 more pictures I have from today, but I have a very poor internet connection tonight. (I have to sit on my balcony and try to pick up the free public wi-fi, its hit and miss)

More pictures are to come... hopefully.


No comments:

Post a Comment