Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 29 - In the land where instead of states, there are commonwealths

Yesterday (Saturday) was kind of a lazy day for me. I slept in (which was much needed) and then did my laundry. I curse doing laundry, luckily I have enough articles of clothing to last me two weeks. It is just a lot of work to do laundry here (not to mention a lot of money too).

Most Saturdays I have my day planned out pretty far in advance, what museums to visit, what memorials to see, etc. Yesterday was different, I didn't know what I wanted to do. After getting a slow start to the day, I wasn't really in the mood to go into DC and to the National Mall where there are what seems like millions of tourists. I did however have a craving for a really good burger, a bag of cajun fries and a frosty cold coca-cola. Where do you find such a thing? There is only one place: Five Guys. So, I searched for nearby Five Guys restaurants and saw that there was one in Alexandria. That tempted me. I have never been to Alexandria, Virginia, but I have heard good things about it... so I went.

Alexandria isn't too far away from where I live, just three stops away on the metro. Going there, I had no idea what Alexandria had to offer, but it sure didn't disappoint. I absolutely loved it. It was a breath of fresh air.

Alexandria is a very old town with a old section cleverly named "Old Town". I wandered the streets for hours looking at the old shops and stores. Art galleries, antiques, souvenirs, book stores, pubs, restaurants, and much more. It was a turkish delight. I went down King Street and eventually made it to the river front where there was an awesome little marina and everything that goes with a marina.

It was a great day, it wasn't as crowded as the popular sights would have been and I got to see some really old and cool history. Each one of my senses was stimulated.

My first sense that was stimulated was taste. I found my Five Guys and my temptation was satisfied. A burger, greasy bag of fries and a coke. Simply marvelous. As I was sitting there I came to the following conclusion: Five Guys >In-n-Out.
Don't start up a riot, I still love In-n-Out, especially after spending a significant amount of time in southern California, but Five Guys is just plain superior. (Although I would suspect In-n-Out is healthier)


Cool little church with fountain and a huge American flag. Welcome to colonial America.


In this photo I tried to capture the cool brick store fronts and buildings. Everything was made of that old red brick. It was awesome to SEE.

All the sidewalks looked like this.
Red bricks, narrow sidewalks and streets, close stores, restaurants with tables on the sidewalks, etc.


I have seen a lot of street performers in my day, but this guy was without a doubt the best I've ever ever seen.
He had a table full of glasses filled with water in which he would create a sound that was completely fantastic to HEAR. He was amazing. He would take requests and play anything and everything. His fingers would be playing multiple glasses at at time and at the same time, he had a baister which he would use to add or subtract water to get the desired sound. He constantly had a huge crowd gathered round and a basket full of cash.


Here he was playing a little Irish tune.


The marina on the Potomac River. Lots of personal boats and water taxis and pleasure cruises.

I took off the ol' flip flops and hung my feet over the side of the pier. I just sat there for a while and didn't do a thing. It was wonderful.


My view looking down river. This river is a little bigger than the Weber back home. (Although these days it may not be that much bigger)


Marina

People

The neatest little alley. It was so picturesque. Brick walls, cobblestone with green growing up, bars on the windows. It was like something from the movies.

Closer view.

This is what every square inch of sidewalk looked like. Uneven red brick. It was cool to FEEL the uneven and often loose brick under my feet.

Neatness.

This might have been the highlight of my day. I found an old used book store. The store had no A/C so it was hot and musty. There was a strong SMELL of old books. (you know the smell) The aisles were very narrow and the shelves were filled from ceiling to floor. I found a history and politics section and probably spent about an hour sitting on a stool browsing through books.
I ended up buying two books. One called "The Nine" which is about the nine Supreme Court Justices (I love the Supreme Court) and the other book is written by Tom Brokaw entitled "The Greatest Generation" I am excited to read that one. I am just finishing up a book now called "Flags of our Fathers" about the six flag raisers at Iwo Jima. This has given me such a respect for those men and women that served and that whole generation. (Another reason why I look up to my Grandpa so much)


Street.

In Alexandria there is a giant Masonic Temple. It is pretty neat. It sits on a hill and overlooks Alexandria and the river.

A bad view of Alexandria

Big temple. I got there too late to go in and tour it... maybe some other day.

Thank you all for reading and visiting. I enjoy doing this blog, it helps me keep connected with those I love as I am far away. 

This is more for me than it is for you... though I hope you like it.

In five days my wife comes!!!!! I have the whole weekend planned out. We might have to return to Alexandria. Laura would love it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Shawn, my mom sent me the address to your blog the other day. Today, I finally had a chance to read and just finished reading all your posts. I left a couple comments along the way. I love your enthusiasm for our country. It has fanned the flames of my own patriotism. Thanks for that.

    Enjoy seeing your wife, and enjoy the rest of your time in DC. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you have access to a car...head up to Anapolis Maryland...sounds a lot like alexandria....Dave and I LOVED it!!! and the seafood was EXCELLENT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a post! I love your passion and your talent for description. What a joy to read!

    ReplyDelete