Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day 28 - In the land where influential people abound

Today is Saturday morning, I am doing my Laundry. I had to do three loads today and so it cost me over $10 not including soap and dryer sheets. Life is expensive, especially when you're an unpaid intern.

Enough complaining, I would like to report on something I was able to experience yesterday...

I saw the President of the United States.

The President had been on a short trip to New York and Pittsburgh and was arriving back at the White House. When he travels, he obviously uses Air Force One which is based out of Andrews Air Force Base. (Across the river in Maryland) But, to get to Andrews and to take other smaller trips, he takes Marine One. This is the call sign for his helicopter. Marine One picks him up and drops him off in the South Lawn of the White House. So, sometimes they make these arrivals and departures available to see for White House staff and other guests. My supervisor, who is the coolest guy ever, set up so our department could go.

Getting to the White House from where I work is really easy when speaking of distance, its only a block away, but to be able to get in I had to go through three security checks and show my ID about four times. (All for a good reason)

I took some pictures and even a video or two. I'll try to post them.

Another highlight was to meet Bo! Bo is the First Family's dog. He is awesome. He is a Portuguese Water Hound. He was a gift from Ted Kennedy.

View from where I was standing.


South face of the White House

BO!!! He has the life. This guy with him just follows him around all day and trains him.


He is the most spoiled dog in the world. He is a celebrity.

The press.

View looking south. National Mall with the Washington Monument and Jefferson Monument in the distance.

Again.

So, I have a lot more pics and even a movie, but it has taken me over an hour to do this already, so you will have to see them some other time.

Marine One. The helicopter travels with two other identical helicopters and the are constantly rotating and changing position in the air, so as to not disclose which one the President is in. When they get close, two helicopters peel off and one lands. As you can imagine, with a helicopter this size, the wind force it creates is quite powerful.

Thats the President by the tail. I know, not a very good view.

Taking off.

Headed back.

This is the Eisenhower Executive Office Building next door to the White House. It houses most of the Executive Branch and the White House staff.


These wheels are what the helicopter uses as guidance to land. It was amazing how accurate it was. The wheels landed right on.


This is my little department. My supervisor is taking the picture.


This is me, Shawn Irwin Walker, in front of the most house in the world.

That is all. Today I don't have much plans. I might go to Alexandria to see what that has to offer.

I'll be back soon



No comments:

Post a Comment