Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 6 - Low Humidity and High Prices

Bad news right off the bat... no pictures. I was a slacker today and didn't snap one picture. Sorry.

But good news, it is A LOT cooler today. In fact I think it is perfect. The humidity was at 20 percent. Wonderful. I guess out here they go off the heat index a lot which is calculating the air temp and the humidity. Yesterday it was 105. Today was 83. Big change, welcome change.

Today was my first FULL day at work. 9-5. This was great. I spent a lot of time in a conference room receiving training, but that is ok. I am looking forward to getting into the swing of things.

Today for lunch I brown bagged it. PB & J. Yum. I ate it in Lafayette Park, which is across the street from the White House. I love being surrounded by history and all the governmental action. I am in my element.

I was surprised at the number of interns who ate out for lunch. We are all unpaid, so it surprised me especially taking into effect the high prices.

That is the subject of my post. I cannot believe the high cost of living here in DC. A gallon of milk is close to $5, I've never seen gas below $4, and prices I am used to in Utah (ie fast food) are higher here in DC. It is a different life. I was marveling today at the fact that I have already spent over $30 on the metro so far, and I haven't even been here a week!

Needless to say, I am living the cheap life. True story: tonight for dinner I had two packs of Ramen Noodles. (they were two for $1)

Anywho, I am doing ok though. I am traditionally a spender, I like my worldly possessions. This whole experience is helping me with those habits. I especially like food. It is hard especially when people are telling you of great restaurants that you have to try out. I am proud to say I've been good at keeping my spending to a minimum. I guess it helps when all the sites and museums are free here in DC. And I guess it helps when I don't have golf clubs to tempt me.

Last night I took a test in my class Natural Disasters. I did well. People are sometimes surprised or impressed that I am taking a class on top of what I'm doing out here. Its not that big of deal, it gives me something to do in the evenings while all of my single roommates are fraternizing with the female interns.

There is talk that my beautiful bride might make it out to see me over July 4th. That would be awesome. We are just trying to look for the cheapest avenues. Keep your fingers crossed.

Well, that is all from the balcony of the 9th floor of the Crystal Plaza Apartments.

No comments:

Post a Comment