Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 32 - In the land where not everything is fun and games

So, I know on this blog it may seem that all I do is travel around skipping and frolicking while I enjoy seeing the sights and learning of our Nation's Capital... in reality... it's not all fun and games.

I don't mean to be a downer, but for this blog to really reflect my experiences in DC, I suppose I need to describe some of my struggles.

As not to depress you all into the depths, I will limit the enumeration of my struggles. They are in no particular order, just how they pop into my head.

Struggle Number One: Work

I love what I do, but at the same time, I dislike what I do. My job can be quite rewarding, as I have stated before, but it can also be quite boring and monotonous. I constantly am reminding myself that I am an intern and interns get stuck with the work that no one else wants to do.
The days drag on as I sit and stare at a computer screen for eight hours a day. Pandora and Dan Patrick help to ease my load.
Additionally, I have some co-workers that may or may not crawl under my skin. I won't go into specifics. If you want specifics, call my wife and she will recount you many of my struggles as I call her frequently and complain.
For the most part, I enjoy what I do, but as with every job, there are a few unpleasantries.


Struggle Number Two: Natural Disasters

As you read that you may be confused? You may ask yourself, "How and why is Shawn struggling with natural disasters?"
Let me tell you.
I am taking an online class this summer entitled, "Natural Disasters". Now, this class has nothing to do with my major or minor, but I need it to fulfill requirements for graduation.
The class is quite easy, but its the act of just doing it that I struggle with. I am doing fantastic in the class and expect an A, it just takes completion of much busy work.
In fact, just minutes ago I completed my second of four exams in the class. I'm half-way through.
I have an assignment due every Saturday by midnight... well as you can guess I wait till Saturday.
(Don't worry Dad, I haven't gotten lower that a 96% on an assignment.


Struggle Number Three: Living with six roommates

I love my roommates, they are all so different and very fun. They come from all over the state of Utah and we are all interns somewhere here in Washington.
This past month has taken me back to the days of single life where dishes and garbage pile up and the shower is so nasty you have to wear flip flops to bathe.
Having seven guys in a three bedroom, two bathroom apartment is a struggle. Imagine all that can accompany that. This is especially a struggle for me as I am transitioning from living with my neat wife who is very clean and tidy and knows that I get stressed out when things are not so.
Needless to say, I am the one who does most the cleaning in our apartment. I'm sick of doing dishes and taking out the garbage, but someone's got to do it.


Struggle Number Four: $

I won't get much into this, it is pretty straight forward.
I am an unpaid intern in an expensive town. Additionally, I have not been known to be much of a frugal man. Amen.


Struggle Number Five: My Commute

I guess I could have lumped this one with my work, but it is a whole different animal. My commute isn't as bad compared to others in the DC area, but to me it is a slap in the face. Some day I will go into detail of my commute (complete with pictures). For know, all you have to know is that it takes me about 45 minutes each way and most of that time I am smashed up against strangers in a moving train... oh yeah, it is extremely hot and humid. You're welcome for the visual. I am at the mercy of the Metro and the trains running on time. If there is something like a bomb threat (there have been two so far) I may experience delays.


Struggle Number Six: Not being with my wife

This is obviously the biggest struggle for me. I love my wife and miss her so much. I am loving her more and more as I am away.
Some people have questioned why I am doing this internship and living away from my wife. I'm not going to lie, I have even questioned that. However, I know this is where I am supposed to be.
I miss everything about Laura. I don't have to go into specifics, you can imagine the things I miss about not being with my wife.
We keep in contact very often. She texts me at 10:00 am my time to tell me good morning, we text throughout the day, I call her during my lunch break and we talk for a while, I call her when I get off work, and we call and talk to each other throughout the evening. In all I would say we talk to each other for about an hour a day, not to mention the countless text messages and picture messages we send each other. Additionally, she keeps up to date on this blog.
Have no fear though, there is light at the end of the tunnel... She is coming out to Washington DC in three days!!!! She will be here Friday through Tuesday. I won't work while she is here and we have a very busy weekend planned. We are very excited.
I will also be traveling to Utah the weekend of the 22nd of July for my sister Shersti's wedding. So, the longest part of mine and Laura's separation is over! That's neat.


I hope you don't get the wrong message by this blog post. I am loving my time. It is even better than I expected. I absolutely love it and I do not have a single doubt for coming out here. I just had to be fair and balanced and share the other side of my experience.

If you are still reading this, I am impressed.

Sorry, not a single photo tonight. I actually tried to upload two, but the internet is being really slow. I guess this post will identify the most loyal of my followers.

1 comment:

  1. You're right! We thought all you were doing was "frolicking" around Washington all this time!

    Good to know you're human having a human experience...and gaining even more experience along the way.

    I'm so excited for you two to have an awesome Fourth of July!!!

    ReplyDelete