Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 17 - In the land where the rear ends of bugs illuminate

Well, its Monday, at it sure feels like it. It was a long day at work, but rewarding nonetheless. I had a really good weekend despite a bad jalepeneo burger that didn't sit well with me for about 24 hours.

Today I made it to work safely on the metro system despite a bomb threat on another line. My communte was not affected whatsoever, but it was a nightmare for others, particularly for those who travel on the red line. To learn more on the story go here.

I'm continuing to live frugally. I live off peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and cheap pasta meals. My carb and sodium intake is probably through the roof. Despite my poor eating, my health is good due to my extensive walking. (I am a Walker after all <insert scoutmaster chuckle here>)

As stated previously, I had a great weekend. On Saturday I did some laundry and saw some sites/sights. On Sunday I worshiped the sabbath, additionally, there was a professional bike race outside my apartment that I watched while reading my book. It was a good time. Sunday night consisted of me attending a dessert party with other Utah interns. (I always feel awkward because I am the lone married guy) As well, Sunday night I watched the Mavs defeat the Heat in the NBA Finals. It brought warmth to my soul.

Here are some pictures from my weekend, sorry the quality isn't so good, I am fighting the slowest internet in the world right now and download speeds are at a minimum.

First of all, I went to the National Air and Space Museum. This is my favorite museum so far. I only saw about half of it. I was crammed in that building with what felt like a million people (half of whom needed to re-apply some deodorant) I hope to go back during the week and really study it out.
This first picture above is John Glenn's suit when he became the first American to orbit earth.

This is a space man and a dark faced extra-terrestrial.

I liked this. This is the first joint space effort. The Americans and Russians docked together in space. These are their respective ships rejoined here on earth. Russians on left, Americans on right.


This was the highlight. This is the capsule from Apollo 11. This is what Neil, Buzz and Mike came back in after being the first to walk on the moon. This is what was left of the ship. I can't believe three people fit in this and splashed down in the ocean. Awesome piece. 


Wright Brothers Flyer!! This was really cool.


Outside of the building.


After seeing the museum I walked over to the Korean War Memorial which I hadn't seen yet. This is a unique memorial. As with all other memorials and monuments, there was a special reverence here. It was appropriately raining while I was visiting this site... good thing they had their ponchos on!


So true.

That is some killer sand blasting. My dad could do that.


Gave me chills.


Near the gates of Arlington Cemetery. A monument to the Sea Bees. They are the guys who would construct the key bases during the wars, particularly WWII in the Pacific Theater.


This is a neat bell tower. It is very big and there was a recital going on when I came by. This was a gift to the US from the Netherlands after the war. 

I don't think you can read this... but it says it was a gift from the Netherlands.

Ok, I have a new favorite monument. This is the Marine's Memorial or more commonly known as the Iwo Jima monument. This is of course from the famous photo of six marines who raised the flag at Iwo Jima during that battle in WWII. 

ME.
This monument was particularly special to me because I am currently reading a book entitled, "Flags of Our Fathers". It is written by a son of one of the six flag raisers. The book outlines the lives of the six flag raisers and their participation in the war and in the battle of Iwo Jima. I HIGHLY recommend it, even if you are not into war books.
This monument also means more to me because it depicts soldiers serving in the Pacific Theater during WWII. Both of my grandpas served in the Pacific Theater.
Also, my dad has an awesome picture of this monument hanging in his office and I grew up loving it.

The base of the monument has a quote from Admiral Nimitz, "Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue". I love that. Truer words were never spoken.

I was there near sunset. Cool experience.

This is the Rosslyn Metro station. Longest escalator I have ever seen. The Washington Metro is apparently famous for it's huge escalators. 

This is the bike race going on outside my apartment on Sunday. You wouldn't believe these guys. Telephone pole legs and they go so so fast. It was really impressive. Here they are about to start.

Flying by.


Ok that was a long post, but I hope you enjoyed it. 

I understand I have more followers/readers than I thought including my Grandma Irwin, my in-laws and my boys in grand and glorious southeastern Idaho. Thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment