Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 27 - In the land where the choo-choos travel underground

Yesterday (Wednesday) was probably the best day I've had since I've been here. It might sound lame to some, but it was bliss for me.

Wednesday I didn't have work due to the full-time staff in my office having a retreat. I didn't complain and was able to see some sights on a weekday and avoid the crowds.

Lets dive into my 26 photos...

They are not in the order I would like, but I'm too lazy to switch it up now.

This is a huge plaque honoring/remembering Flight 93. If you remember, Flight 93 is the fourth plane on 9/11 that was headed to Washington, either to the Capitol or the White House. I saw this at the end of an awesome tour and really put it into perspective what those brave people did by thwarting that hijacked plane. Honor those who stated, "Let's roll."

So, as stated before, I live with six other guys. Five of those six intern at the Capitol with a Senator or Representative, so through one of them I arranged to tag along on one of the tours they were giving. The people never showed up, so it turned out to be an exclusive tour. 
If you ever come to Washington, schedule tours through your Rep or Senator it is so much more awesome than the generic/crowded tours offered at the Capitol.

The above picture is the old House Floor. They grew out of it and moved the current one. This awesome room is now to display the many statues. (each state provides two statues to the Capitol)

Naturally, one of Utah's statues that they provided is that of Brother Brigham. Classic.


Just a view of some statues.


I have been watching the TV show "The West Wing" lately. (I know... kinda cliche for a White House Intern to be watching that) Anyway, we couldn't get over that this guy looks like the President off that show. (Martin Sheen) I don't know who it really is. 


Speaker John Boehner gets an exclusive office right in the center of the Capitol.


The Rotunda. So big that the Statue of Liberty could fit inside it standing up. The dome is made of cast iron. This is so awesome. The artwork and architecture is completely breathtaking. Much of it is honoring George Washington including the ceiling painting which depicts Washington becoming a sort of Diety.

The old Senate floor. No longer in use, but very authentic and cool.

Amazing tile work.


The old Supreme Court Room. They used this in the early 1800s. it is quite small and tucked away in the basement. 

Americana architecture. Corn.


This is a statue of John Calhun, this is interesting because there is a bullet mark in his calf. In the late 90s a man opened fire in the Capitol Building and a bullet hit the statue. This was pre-9/11 and security is obviously very tight now. 
To learn more about that shooting which killed two people, click here.


Center of the building and from this point, all streets are based in Washington DC.


"The Crypt" No one is buried here, its just in the lower floor and the architecture looks like a crypt.

Statue from Hawaii. The coolest, and heaviest.


Visitors center.

After the Capitol tour I went to a very famous and popular pizza place in DC. Its called "We The Pizza". Get it? ha ha. It was the best pizza I've ever had. Period. 

After lunch I took a tour of the Supreme Court. I was very excited for this, I took two Supreme Court classes last semester and consider myself to be somewhat of a Supreme Court junkie. It is my favorite branch of government.
It was everything and more that I ever dreamed of.

Inside the great hall.


Ceiling.


Staircase.


Quotes from famous opinions concerning the court.


Statue of Chief Justice John Marshall. Probably the most influential Chief Justice to have served (and the longest serving)



The most amazing staircase ever. No supports, each stair is designed to support the one above it a they are anchored in the wall. Six stories high.

Proof.


Notable figures of law.

So I got to go inside the courtroom, but cameras aren't allowed, but here is one I pulled of the internet.

It is really cool. Especially to think of what has occurred in that room. You can feel it. 

Interestingly enough, there is a basketball court right above this room. It is private, intended for the employees, but it is cleverly nicknamed "The Highest Court in the Land" ha ha, very funny. 

I could go on for days about the Supreme Court and my love for the court and the building and the influential cases and everything, but I won't put you through that. Just ask my wife, she has had to endure my rants and raves.


What do you think of this pic? Pretty nice eh?
After my touring, I met up with some roommates and friends and we went to a ball game. Nationals vs. Mariners. It was really fun. This is the third game I've been to I love them. (Only $5) It is so great, and last night was $1 hotdog night, so I stuffed myself.

The bad thing about the day was that it was very hot and very humid. I was so hot and sticky when I got home. So, I ended the night with a Mtn. Dew slurpee.

It was a great day. I just gave you the condensed version (if you can believe it) I could go on about the history and whatnot, but again, I won't put you through that.

I have had major computer issues. My power cord went out, so that is why I haven't posted for a few days. I had to borrow a charger from a roommate. My sweet wife bought me a new one and it is on its way.

Tomorrow is Friday and I am excited, especially because tomorrow I get to go on the South Lawn of the White House and watch President Obama as he leaves and takes off in Marine One (his helicopter). I guess its pretty exclusive to be there. Instead of a monetary pay, I get paid in perks like this. I'll take it.

Pictures to come tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment